Importing Rosters via CSV (Excel)
Team rosters are often tracked using spreadsheets. These spreadsheets can be exported/saved as CSV (comma separated value) files that, when formatted correctly, can be imported into GameSheet. This saves a great deal of time compared to entering each player individually.
Who has the ability to import a roster?
Users who have the Director, Convenor, or Manager role for the destination team(s).
How do you import a roster for a single team?
- Navigate to your team's roster page, either via the Season Teams page or through the team's Division.
- Click the "Import From CSV" button in the top right.
- Ensure your CSV file matches the expected layout and upload it to receive a preview of the import.
- Confirm the import to load your team's roster.
- A Player External ID number is not required. If not specified, this number will be generated by the system.
- Players who participate in multiple seasons have their stats linked together using their external ID.
- All of the columns included in the CSV template must be present in order for the import to function. You may not, for example, remove the BIRTHDATE column because you are not including birth dates.
- Column order in the CSV file does not matter, as long as the headings match the template.
- Player/Coach first and last name will be converted automatically to all-caps so formatting of these fields is not necessary.
- To export a CSV, use the Save As option in Excel and under Save as type box, choose CSV (Comma delimited).
How do you import rosters for multiple teams at once?
- Navigate to your Season and click the "Import From CSV" button in the Season Roster section.
- Unlike importing a single team's roster, you'll need to add the appropriate Team ID to each row in order to assign the players and coaches to their respective teams.
- Players /Coaches imported without a Team ID are added to the season roster, but will not be assigned to any teams.
- For large seasons, e.g. 500+ players, it is best to break your import CSV into several files.
Where do I find the Team ID?
The Team ID is shown where the team is listed in our system — In the Season Teams page, or the Division Teams page.
Can I preview my import?
- Yes, prior to importing your roster we will provide you with a preview / summary detailing how many players / coaches will be imported.
- If there are any errors in the import CSV file, the system will inform you of them. (eg - missing a column or using an incorrectly spelled position etc)